Section I - Introduction
NOTE: The King James version will be the primary text used in this
study for no other reason than it is popular and well recognized. If another version is
used, it will be cited. The text of each chapter will be shown in full, followed by
commentary on selected verses. In some cases there may be multiple verses that are not
discussed. In others, a single verse (or even a single word) may merit a great deal of
- Matthew 1:1-25 (last update: 3/2/00)
- SUBJECTS: Titles and Names; Genealogy; Women &
gentiles; Joseph & Mary's Relationship; the name "Jesus;" the Ruach
HaKodesh; "Lord;" prophecy; "virgin;" "Emmanuel."
- Matthew 2:1-23 (last update: 3/3/00)
- SUBJECTS: Bethlehem; Herod; "Magi," the
"Star;" Priests, Scribes, Pharisees and Saducees;
Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh; "Out of Egypt I have called my
son;" "A voice was heard in Ramah;" "... that He should be called a
- Matthew 3:1-17 (last update: 3/5/00)
- SUBJECTS: John the Baptist, baptism, "repent,"
kingdon of heaven, "near/at hand," "in the wilderness," John's
appearance, confessing sins, Pharisees and Saducees, "my beloved Son."
- Matthew 4:1-25 (last update: 3/8/00)
- SUBJECTS: The devil, "forty days and forty
nights," Son of God, "it is written," temptations, "the Gospel,"
"all over Syria."